Tuesday 15 September 2009

Boyzone's Ronan loves to bring family on Archerfield trips


HE is a global pop star who could pick any five star resort in the world to get away from it all.
But Boyzone frontman Ronan Keating likes nothing better than taking his family on holiday to East Lothian.The keen golfer has even become a member of the Archerfield Links course after holding a charity event there last year.He was there again at the weekend for the latest Ronan Keating & Sir Ian Botham Charity Golf Classic, and told the Evening News the area had become his favourite holiday spot.The 32-year-old said: "I come up here outside the event as well, with friends and my family, too. I love bringing the kids here. When I'm away a lot I need to go somewhere with my three kids and feel they are being diverted and there's certainly a good family atmosphere at Archerfield."Keating, who performed at a gala dinner in a marquee on the Archerfield estate on Sunday, and Botham raised over £135,000 from their event last year. Among those taking part this time around were rugby star Matt Dawson,snooker's Dennis Taylor and former football stars Trevor Steven and Phil Babb. Keating added: "While we started up at Gleneagles, it was such a great event at Archerfield last year that we decided to keep it here and I think this is it now I don't think we'll be moving anywhere because we love it here."With Muirfield and all the other great courses around, some people might have thought they were mad when it first came out that they were going to build two courses at Archerfield."But what they've done here is unbelievable. They've made it very special and very exclusive, I suppose, but, at the same time, it's also very homely and I think the staff have a lot to do with that."There are some great houses on the site, too, and, all in all, it is a really special place."The Open returns to Muirfield in 2013. "I've never played Muirfield but I would certainly like to," Keating said. "I love my golf and Barry, who has looked after me for 15 years, and I travel around the world with our golf clubs. "Any city we get to, we need to get the golf bag out and hit a few balls. It's a great way for me to shut down, switch off and get away from it all."Next up for Keating on the golf front is the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship, a star-studded pro-am being held at St Andrews, Carnoustie and Kingsbarns at the beginning of October.

No comments: